COVID-19 Vaccination of EMS Personnel Is Underway Across Ohio
From the Ohio Division of EMS:
In accordance with directives from Ohio Governor Mike DeWine and the Ohio Department of Health (ODH), vaccination of EMS personnel in Phase 1A is currently underway across the state. It is imperative that EMS and medical transportation services personnel receive the COVID-19 vaccination to help protect our vital workforce, which has a high probability of exposure to patients who are positive for COVID-19.
If you haven’t already received your COVID-19 vaccination, please act now. The window of opportunity for Phase 1A eligible participants is short and vaccination resources will be redirected to the next group of prioritized personnel under the vaccination plan.
- Contacting your local health department. COVID-19 vaccination efforts, in accordance with federal guidelines for emergency use authorization (EUA), are being coordinated through the Ohio Department of Health and each local health department. Arrangements for the initial and second doses of the COVID-19 vaccination, as well as documentation of your immunization record within 24 hours of receiving the vaccination, must be coordinated through your local health department.
- Returning for your second dose within the timeline identified on your vaccination card to ensure 94-95% protection from the COVID-19 virus. Both doses you receive must be from the same manufacturer. Local health departments are administering Moderna® vaccine, meaning your second dose will be due 28 days after the first dose was administered.
- Continuing to practice good habits of wearing a mask and other PPE, washing your hands frequently, and maintaining social distancing from others as much as possible.
- GETTING VACCINATED! This is the safest and most effective way to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus and will accelerate an end to the pandemic.
- Monitoring https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/vaccine for updated recommendations and guidance, and watching for additional communication from the Ohio Department of Public Safety Division of EMS.COVID-19 training resources are also available at ems.ohio.gov.
Dr. Eric Cortez, Ohio Fire Chiefs' Association’s (OFCA) Medical Director, Dr. Carol Cunningham, State Medical Director, and ODH's Senior Deputy Director Lance Himes presented a webinar yesterday on the COVID-19 vaccine. You can view the webinar on OFCA’s YouTube channel, or by clicking here. To view the slides from the webinar, click here.